The Pacific Northwest regional chapter of the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (PNW-SETAC) stands with Black Lives Matter and the black community – our members, friends, mentors, students, and colleagues. We repudiate the racism in policies and recognize the need to break-down the systemic and cultural barriers that black scientists must face. We recognize that science and our society are not strangers to racism. We acknowledge the daily challenges that black environmental professionals routinely face that white environmental professionals do not.
We will fully support worldwide movements for civil rights and social justice, to end unfair discrimination, and empower Black, Indigenous, People of Color, Women, Immigrants, Disabled, and LGBTQI+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and intersex) people as fully equal and safe members of our regional chapter.
We are committed to working together to strive for equity, diversity, inclusivity and representation by all people in PNW-SETAC.
Our belief is that actions speak louder than words, thus we are taking steps to:
- Create a PNW-SETAC Committee tasked with broadening inclusivity, diversity and empowerment for all members of our regional chapter
- Increase diversity in our regional chapter
- Ensure that everyone has a voice that is heard in PNW-SETAC
- Support the development of underrepresented environmental professionals
- Educate ourselves about any unjust obstacles our members may face
- Reach out to communities we have overlooked
To become actively involved, please join the PNW-SETAC Board or our Inclusive Diversity standing Committee (ID-PNW-SETAC); we can all benefit from ideas and efforts to broaden inclusivity and diversity in PNW-SETAC.
These are the views of the PNW-SETAC Chapter and do not reflect the views of SETAC-NA or any other organization in SETAC.